You should apply for a SIN as soon as possible after you arrive in Canada. A SIN is a nine-digit number provided by Service Canada on behalf of the federal government. You will need this number to work in Canada or to apply for government programs and benefits.

You must present one of the followings documents when you apply for a SIN:

  1. Permanent Residents :
  • PR Card from IRCC : this is the only acceptable document if your application was processed in Canada
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and VISA Counterfoil affixed to your Foreign Passport or Travel Document.
  1. Temporary Residents :
  • Work Permit from IRCC
  • Study Permit from IRCC
  • Visitor record from IRCC indicating that you are authorized to work in Canada
  • Diplomatic Identity Card and a note of permission of employment issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.

To apply for SIN, simply gather the documents you need and take them to your nearest Service Canada Centre. The Service Canada agent will need to see the original documents (not copies). If your application and documents are in order, you will get the SIN in one visit. For more information about the SIN, consult

You can also call Service Canada at 1-800-206-7218 (select option 3) or visit a Service Canada Centre in person (see their website for a location near you).

Leave a Reply

WeCreativez WhatsApp Support
Our customer support team is here to answer your questions. Ask us anything!
👋 Hi, how can I help?